Are you confused about aged care?
The aged care system can be complicated. We can help you access services that will support you to live at home safely or find a place in residential care. This help is provided free of charge. We understand that you need time to make big decisions and won't rush you.
We can explain:
- how the aged care system works
- how to organise home care or residential care
- your contribution to the cost of your services
We can also help you to:
- find local services
- use the My Aged Care website
- contact the My Aged Care centre
- fill in forms
Normally, we help people at Information Hubs located at Ashfield, Hurstville, Penrith, Eastgardens and Wollongong. At the moment, due to the Covid-19 pandemic only the Ashfield and Hurstville Hubs are operating, but the others may open soon.
The Ashfield Hub is open on the first Tuesday of the month from 11am-3pm at Activity Room 4, Ashfield Civic Centre, 260 Liverpool Road, Ashfield NSW 2131.
The Hurstville Hub is open on the second Tuesday of the month from 10.30am-2.30pm, Hurstville Seniors Centre, 91 Queens Road, Hurstville NSW 2220.
As we can only have limited numbers in the room, it’s advisable to make an appointment. See contact details below.
We can also help people from other areas by phone and video link! We are available from 9.00 to 4.30, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday.
You will need access to the internet for video calls. We will send you further information about this when you make your appointment.
For more information or to make and appointment, call 0438 431 817 or 8268 9601 or email to email@example.com. If you call and the phone is not answered, please leave a message and we will call you back.
We also offer assistance in Cantonese and Mandarin at Ashfield and Hurstville and on the phone. In this case, please leave a message with your phone number and a Mandarin or Cantonese-speaking volunteer will ring you back. We can also arrange for the volunteer to attend a video call.
If you need an interpreter for other languages, please call the Translating and Interpreting Service on 131 450 and ask for COTA NSW or 8268 9601.
We also provide speakers on the aged care system for community groups, either in person or online via Zoom. The topics include:
- Understanding Aged Care - This session aims to provide community members with an understanding of the types of subsidised supports available for people as they age, to assist them to live independently at home or moving to an aged care home. It also covers assessment processes and seeking help. (Can also be provided in Cantonese or Mandarin)
- Navigating Home Care Packages – This session focusses specifically on Home Care Packages, explaining the steps in gaining a package, the costs, tips for finding a service provider, and self-managing your package.
Using the My Aged Care Website – This practical session demonstrates using the My Aged Care website to find information and answers to your questions. It also demonstrates the use of tools including “Find a Provider”, “Fee Estimator”, “Applying for an online assessment”, and how to check for compliance issues.
COTA NSW’s Information service is part of the Aged Care Navigators Trial, which is testing ways to help people access aged care services. COTA Australia are leading the trials, which are funded by the Australian Government.