COTA NSW Strength for Life
Exercise program to improve strength, balance and mobility
Strength for Life is an exciting new exercise program to help older people improve their physical strength and fitness. It is a progressive training program designed to improve strength, balance, coordination and endurance.
COTA NSW trains qualified exercise professionals to deliver the program. They have a good understanding of the needs of older people.
Classes are held twice weekly in suitable facilities such as gyms, council recreation facilities and community centres. The maximum charge is $10-$15 per class, depending on the qualifications of the instructor.
As well as increasing strength, other likely benefits of the program include:
- improved balance
- increased mobility
- reduced risk of falls
- preventing or managing arthritis, osteoporosis, diabetes and heart disease
- speeding up recovery from illness
- reducing lower back pain
- improved ability to undertake daily living tasks
- opportunities for social interaction
- improvement in self-esteem and mental wellbeing