As of 1 August 2016 paper tickets - including the Pensioner Excursion Ticket (PETs) - will no longer be accepted sold or accepted for travel within the Opal network.
Minister for Transport and Infrastructure Andrew Constance has announced that from 1 August 2016, customers will need an Opal card, Opal single trip ticket or Opal single bus ticket before travelling within the Opal network.
For concession fares you can apply for a Gold Senior/Pensioner or Concession Opal card at by calling 13 OPAL (13 6725) or visiting opal.com.au.
- Paper tickets and legacy travel arrangements will no longer be sold or accepted for travel within the Opal network.
- Customers will need an Opal card, Opal single trip ticket or Opal single bus ticket for travel.
- Concession fares will only be available on Opal cards. Eligible customers need to apply now for the appropriate Opal card
- Country Pensioner Excursion tickets and Regional Excursion Daily tickets can still be purchased and used within regional and rural NSW and ACT (outside the Opal network).
- Customers who have purchased valid paper tickets before 1 August 2016 can apply for a refund at transportnsw.info until 30 October 2016. For refunds on unused Pensioner Excursion Tickets customers can request a refund form and reply-paid envelope from the original place of purchase. Alternatively, customers can apply for a refund online at the Sydney Trains website tickets.sydneytrains.info. Customers will need to register, and then follow the prompts to attain their refund.
For more information or to provide feedback, customers can call 13 67 25 (13 OPAL), contact Transport for NSW on 131 500 or visit opal.com.au.
For FAQs regarding these changes click here: FAQs Changes to public transport ticketing